Информационный портал
pocket versionPOCKET  wikiWIKI  FAQFAQ  ПоискПоиск  ПользователиПользователи  ГруппыГруппы  РегистрацияРегистрация  ПрофильПрофиль  Войти и проверить личные сообщенияВойти и проверить личные сообщения  ВходВход

Questions -- how do I ... ?

Найти сообщения без ответов
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов www.fictionbook.org -> FictionBook Format
Предыдущая тема :: Следующая тема  
Автор Сообщение

rsperberg
Новенький участник форума

СообщениеДобавлено: Ср Янв 25, 2006 1:42    Заголовок сообщения: Questions -- how do I ... ? Ответить с цитатой

So, here are some of my questions:

How do I mark a list? Just use the p element?

Does FictionBook provide for automatic numbering, as I would expect in lists, but also in titles (such as Section 1.2.5) or Figures?

In the print books I've worked on, we always included a half-title page as well as a title page. The half-title page included just the book title. The (full) title page had the book title, the subtitle and the author's name.
    What would be the best way to do this in FB2?

I don't see any way to mark the title, subtitle and author name separately on the title page, except as separate p child elements of the title. But the author's name isn't really part of the title. Is there a better way to do this?

I've encountered two (or three?) separate xsd files for genre. I'm working on a biography of Jerry Lee Lewis (written by Jimmy Guterman) and I want to indicate somehow that music or rock 'n' roll is what the book is about. None of the lists is comprehensive enough to indicate this -- can I just add genres at will?

The example FB2 file of "A Study in Scarlet" uses a subtitle tag in the footnotes. Is this the best usage? It's not clear to me why this tag is used and not the title element.

I assume there's no way to link to another book or to a webpage. If there is, what is the correct markup?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Roger Sperberg
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение

GribUser
Автор формата FB2 - Автор библиотеки FB

СообщениеДобавлено: Ср Янв 25, 2006 4:40    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

No lists are supported by fb2. Just use
<p>1.&#160;item</p>

Цитата:
What would be the best way to do this in FB2?
It's a matter of presentation. You can adjust rtf converter (xsl-file) to get the job done for example. Or ask FB-reader author to display it in the way you see cool. No need to change fb2-file for that.

Цитата:
I don't see any way to mark the title, subtitle and author name separately on the title page,
You seem to mix fb2 content and fb2 presentation. In the READER or CONVERTER you can put any meta info in any position with any style you like. fb2 just provides you (reader, converter) with the data you can manipulate. fb2 is more like lego than like puzzle. You can make it look (and id does look) different in different situations. That's the point.

subtitle supposed to mark non-important markup like "***" and the like. It is not dusplayed in contents and is somewhat like strong for the whole paragraph, but even stronger than strong and could be centered or colored to look noticeble.

Цитата:
I assume there's no way to link to another book or to a webpage.
You can link to whatever you want. Just keep in mind there are FOOTNOTES and there are LINKS. LINKS are just like html links you must be familiar with. FOOTNOTES are quite a special subset of the links. They must be linked in an exact fashion to make them look good after conversion to rtf, txt and other media-connected formats. Reader can show them in a special way as well.
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение Отправить e-mail Посетить сайт автора

rsperberg

СообщениеДобавлено: Чт Янв 26, 2006 3:16    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thank you for responding.
GribUser писал(а):
No lists are supported by fb2. Just use
<p>1.&#160;item</p>

I wanted to check this.

Цитата:
It's a matter of presentation. You can ... ask FBReader author to display it in the way you see cool. No need to change fb2-file for that.

To me, using XML means you want the markup to best reflect the structure of the book. So in general I want to differentiate between lists and other paragraphs in the markup, if I can.

Цитата:
You seem to mix fb2 content and fb2 presentation. In the READER or CONVERTER you can put any meta info in any position with any style you like. fb2 just provides you (reader, converter) with the data you can manipulate. fb2 is more like lego than like puzzle. You can make it look (and id does look) different in different situations. That's the point.

I see now that in the example.fb2 file, I mistook the first <title> element to be a repeat of the book's title. (The Cyrillic characters don't display in my text editor -- every character is just a "?").

You are of course correct that this should be dealt with by the e-reader. Still, I would like to differentiate in the metadata between the title of the book, and its subtitle (not to be confused with the subtitle element as you describe it).

Цитата:
You can link to whatever you want. Just keep in mind there are FOOTNOTES and there are LINKS. LINKS are just like html links you must be familiar with. FOOTNOTES are quite a special subset of the links. They must be linked in an exact fashion to make them look good after conversion to rtf, txt and other media-connected formats. Reader can show them in a special way as well.

If I understand you correctly, if a book in FB2 included a link and an e-reader chose to enable external links, nothing in the spec should stop that.

I seem to have overlooked the <a> element in the schema. I will write to the FBReader guys and suggest what they might do then.

And thanks for the reminder about the difference between these two things. By emulating the example files, I have gotten FOOTNOTES to work.

GribUser

СообщениеДобавлено: Чт Янв 26, 2006 16:06    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

rsperberg писал(а):
Still, I would like to differentiate in the metadata between the title of the book, and its subtitle (not to be confused with the subtitle element as you describe it).
Do not understand what you mean. You CAN add a title to the body, if nececary, with any details you want. You can even create a separate section in the book and put there any info you think to be that important. While there are few books requiring such a page, afaik. Copying paper books is not a good idea if you ask me.

rsperberg писал(а):
If I understand you correctly, if a book in FB2 included a link and an e-reader chose to enable external links, nothing in the spec should stop that.
Correct.
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение Отправить e-mail Посетить сайт автора

rsperberg

СообщениеДобавлено: Вт Янв 31, 2006 0:29    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thanks for the clarification.

I've thought about how best to mark this up -- still getting my sea legs on how and when to add sections with and without titles -- and I see you're right here.

I've written to FBReader to implement just what I had asked here, -- there's more to the expectations one places on the e-reader than I have considered.

But still I think there's a difference worth noting between what librarians consider a title and what is not.

For instance, there's a new book out called The Search. To explain what it's about, the subtitle is "How Google and Its Rivals Rewrote the Rules of Business and Transformed Our Culture."

Or what about S is for Silence? The subtitle explains that it is "A Kinsey Millhone Mystery." The subtitle isn't part of the title -- it provides additional information about the book.

For display, sure you can put these inside two <p> tags in a <title> element. But then there's no distinction between this title and subtitle and a book with a long title broken into two lines like George Carlin's book, When Will Jesus Bring the Porkchops?

Whether the title is distinguished from the subtitle as two elements in the metadata, or as separate children of a title, I still maintain that that is useful and structural information about the book, not presentation.

GribUser

СообщениеДобавлено: Вт Янв 31, 2006 13:18    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Perhaps adding some way to support thouse 2-level titles i a good idea. It was discused here once and it is here again so I guess it's something usable for fb3, you are right.

Have any ideas how to implement this?

rsperberg

СообщениеДобавлено: Чт Фев 02, 2006 22:00    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Well, to answer your question: Start with the current format, in which the <description> element has a child called <title-info>. And <title-info> has a child called <book-title>

(I know you know this, GribUser, but I repeat it here for newcomers who read this post in the future Smile

If you are OK with mixed content, then <book-title> could have a child called <book-subtitle>. So that, using a previously cited example, it would look like this:

<book-title>The Search<book-subtitle>How Google and Its Rivals Rewrote the Rules of Business and Transformed Our Culture</book-subtitle></book-title>

If you disallow mixed content, you could do add a container element and keep <book-title> as the element whose content is the title:

<full-title>
<book-title>Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman!<book</book-title>
<book-subtitle>Adventures of a Curious Character</book-subtitle>
<short-title>Surely You're Joking</short-title>
</full-title>

Well, this example incorporates a separate suggestion, which is to provide the e-reader with a short display name to serve the function that a running head does in a print book -- only with an e-book it might show up as a window title or the label in a tab (for e-readers that could keep multiple e-books open).

I have another suggestion regarding titles. Having worked with a list of 18,000 movies (even a small library would have more titles), I'd also suggest a <sort-as> element as a child of <full-title> for something like this:

<full-title>
<book-title>The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins<book</book-title>
<short-title>500 Hats</short-title>
<sort-as>five hundred hats of bartholomew cubbins, the</sort-as>
</full-title>

Being able to move an article to the end of the sort title is helpful even with titles that don't use numbers. For instance, it enables the library module to put "The Search" and "A Simple Guide to Chinese Cooking" into its list of titles that begin with S.

Adding <sort-as> has the added benefit of being usable with authors' names:

<author>
<first-name>Antoine</first-name>
<last-name>de Saint-Exupéry</last-name>
<sort-as>Saint-Exupéry, de, Antoine</sort-as>
</author>

OK. Enough with my suggestions.

I think adding <book-subtitle> (and the other elements suggested) could be restricted to the metadata or description section of the FB file. As long as it can be separately identified, then it wouldn't need to appear in <body>. Of course, to properly solve the display issue I brought up, the e-reader would be expected (obligated?) to display the <book-title> and <book-subtitle> (and probably <author> when it opened a book. Then the formatting could clearly distinguish between long (2-line) titles and books with a subtitle.

Roger
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов www.fictionbook.org -> FictionBook Format Часовой пояс: GMT + 3
Страница 1 из 1

Перейти: